Volunteer With the ASURA
ASURA is operated entirely by volunteers. If you think you might enjoy working with fellow retirees to support the organization and its activities please contact us.
We have volunteer opportunities in the areas listed below. Those marked with are especially in need of volunteers.
Events Committee - Serve on a committee to plan activities and educational programs for ASURA members. Help in one of these areas:
- Golf Tournament - Plan a fund-raising golf tournament, and recruit sponsors.
- Luncheon Programs - Plan events like the Fall, Holiday, and Spring luncheons: locations, entertainment, menus, etc.
- Seminars Committee - Plan presentations/workshops on why/how-to topics related to retirement and aging.
- Travel - Plan and offer travel outings to members: local, state, regional, national, and international.
Community Outreach Committee - Plan and conduct or oversee programs that are directed at bettering our community.
- Adopt-a-Family Program - Purchase, wrap, and distribute toys, clothing, etc. for adopted families.
- Scholarship Committee - Select the best qualified ASURA scholarship recipient from applicant pool.
- Video History Project - Arrange for, conduct, and distribute video interviews of people with significant ASU history.
- Video Editing - Edit video of completed Video History Project interviews. Training on the tools being used will be provided.
Government Liaison & Health Insurance - Provide liaison and advocacy to agencies as designated by the Board.
- AZ Legislative Liaison - Track legislation, contact legislators, attend hearings on retiree-related items. Inform members. You would be a registered lobbyist for our organization.
- AZ State Retirement System Liaison - Attend monthly meetings at the ASRS office to monitor plans and provide input. Inform members.
- Health Insurance - Monitor and help improve ADOA & ASRS health insurance for retirees. Inform members.
Membership & Communication Committee - Develop ASURA membership, promote and facilitate communication.
- Event Photographer - Take photos at ASURA events and activities for use in ASURA publications.
- Prime Times Newsletter - Collect & edit stories, format the newsletter, arrange for distribution to members.
- Obituaries - Collect obituaries of ASU people and edit for use in ASURA publications.
- Website - Add to and maintain Association website content.
Board & Operational Support - Provide leadership and support for the overall operations of the ASURA.
- Board of Directors - Guide ASURA. 3-year term, monthly meetings September through May. Five are elected each year, in February.
- Finance Committee - Make recommendations that will help assure that ASURA has funding for its programs.
- Information Technology - Help ASURA use technology effectively. Especially, support ASURA's website technology.
- Office Staff - Work a weekly 3-hour shift: answer phone, process mail, maintain computerized records.